Clarification on Global Warming
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country PPC Association
PO Box 93077 Caulfield Village
West Vancouver V7W 3G4
West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country PPC Association Clarifies Position on Global Warming
West Sechelt, September 3, 2019
An article in the August 29th print edition of Pique NewsMagazine contained an erroneous characterization of People’s Party of Canada policy on global warming. The article incorrectly claims, “the [PPC’s] official stance is that there is no scientific consensus that humans are causing climate change”.
In fact, PPC policy is that "There is . . . no scientific consensus on the theory that CO2 produced by human activity is causing dangerous global warming today or will in the future, and that the world is facing environmental catastrophes unless these emissions are drastically reduced. Many renowned scientists continue to challenge this theory." The policy is clearly stated in the document found here, on the Party’s website: https://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/global-warming-environment
The West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country PPC Association holds and agrees with the following opinions:
- Global warming has been progressing slowly, and erratically since the last ice age;
- CO2 is only one of several green-house gases;
- Adding CO2 to the atmosphere should produce some amount of warming;
- CO2 emissions due to human activity could have been a factor only since about 1960;
- There is no scientific consensus, nor have any comprehensive surveys of scientific opinion been conducted, on the proportions of contribution to global warming from natural processes and from human activity, of which only a fraction might be attributable to CO2 emissions. Surveys of scientific opinion to date have asked only ambiguous questions, such as whether CO2 is a "significant factor". One explanation for this obvious short-coming is that no proper surveys are possible, because the narrow terms of reference initially provided to the IPCC permit only investigation of the human activity effects on global warming and exclude consideration of naturally occurring causal factors. This severe deficiency built into the IPCC reports renders them unsuitable as a basis for sound policy making.
- Few if any scientists take the position that global warming is dangerous to the point of being a crisis. Here again, survey data on scientific opinion is conspicuously absent.
- The IPCC makes no clear, unequivocal claim of any connection between global warming and extreme weather.